Tuesday 12 April 2011

Its Finally Here!

Hello People!
So Welcome to my travel blog! Here I will be telling as much of my adventure as possible to those of you who can be bothered to read it and also those of you who may be planning to take the trip next year and have decided to stalk a couple of this years group. Which is fair enough as we've all done it!
Ok so first of all. What am I doing??? Yes you've listened to me telling you in the pub or on Facebook but you weren't listening or you were Facebook perving your friend's girlfriend or something so you didn't take it in.
So I will try and explain, now! I am taking a tour bus starting in London this Sunday 17th April and will be travelling overland as far as Kuala Lumpar and then flying to Australia where I have a year's working holiday visa so will hopefully stay for a good bit. You're like: "What?" But yes its true the Bus takes six months to go through 26 countries and I will be on it with 20 strangers...and I can't frickin wait! Check out the route maybe it'll make more sense
Still lost? Check out the website http://www.odysseyoverland.co.uk/

Now you're like: "What, a frickin Bus??"

Ok its more like an off road truck with massive wheels and cooking equipment and a sit-on-able roof etc. Feck it. Here's a picture.

And yes yes there IS one flight between Calcutta and Bangkok yeah yeah whatever smart arse I'm goin on a bleedin bus! I'll be staying in a mixture of campsites, hotels, hostels and just plain camping!




So its been quite an ordeal putting this shit together. Since I finished college 2 years ago (christ!) I've been wanting to do something epic instead of just goin to Oz and getting drunk (which I will be doing at some stage!) but I didn't know what. Until one day about 3 months into my new life as a grown up person I was talking to this old guy in the sauna in my local gym and he was telling me about these "convoys" you can join that go to all crazy places and go all the way to Oz I was like "Whaaaa? No way man" A few days of searching on the net later and I was sold! Decided not to look for a good job and to stay in what I was doin and save save save. So living like a hermit began and lasted over 18 months. Although I must give a mention to my sponsor: My Great Uncle Alan who is part funding me, without him none of this would be possible so cheers Uncle. You'll be getting psotcards every day!

So what am I leaving behind? Well I know my Mum is gonna miss me and I'll miss her and all my family alot. I'm missing my brother's 18th, My Mum's XXth and my uncle Alan's 80th birthdays. So yeah family.
I'm also leaving behind a secure dead end job which are pretty rare these days and which (as everyone keeps telling me) I was lucky to have. Which I was! And thankful for it cos without it I wouldn't be able to afford this trip. I'm gonna miss all the lads I worked with they were all great people and good friends and I hope if some of ye are reading this that ye will follow it and I'll be back someday for another session in Spratts! I'm leaving the lads behind. Good friends that you couldn't ask more of that I've been mates with since school but it would be gay if I said I was gonna miss them so feck off. Although I have the hip flask to remind me of them, cheers lads!
I've been building my stand up act slowly over the last three years and ironically 2011 has been my best year yet with some really good gigs with Cahir Comedy Club one of the highlights of the year. So I will be leaving my comedy behind and the adrenaline buzz that goes with it but hopefully I will get plenty of material from my travel experiences and hoping to gig in Oz when I get there. Also, leaving my fellow comics behind especailly those on the Cork scene so lookimg forward to gigging with those dudes and dudettes again some day. I'm hoping to write a one man show based on this trip, so lets hope interesting stuff happens!

Its been stressful gettig all this orgainzed.

Here is a list of everything that has pissed me off so far:
- The fact that I have to collect my passport in London on Friday cos the Azerbaijan embassy was closed for a week
-Some dum b***h in Bank Of Ireland who forgot to order me new credit cards and therefore my credit card will expire half way through my trip
-My car failing the NCT and the NCT phone people unable to get me a retest so I couldn't sell it and ended up having to get my mum to beg the guys in the test centre to give me an emergency test so I could sell it cos everyone knows mechanics only help women and not men cos they're pervy
-The fact that I haven't packed yet
-The fact that I never won the lotto despite doing it three times a week for the last year and as a result will have to work again at some point

Apart from that its been plane sailing and I know it'll be worth it and the experience of a lifetime. Please follow my blog as I'll be pouring my little heart out and telling you all thats goin on..

So I've sold my car (sniff), I've left my job, I've had FIVE going away sessions and leaving for London on Thursday...

Here we fuckin go....

2 comments: