Saturday 16 April 2011

London!

So stop number one is thew capital of Engerland, London!

In a word: Love it! Ok thats two words but its a rockin city loads of stuff going on!

Took the ferry over Thursday morning. Quick and painless journey over the Irish Sea. Emotional enough sitting on the ferry before leaving if I'm honest. Suppose I was like "Oh shit I'm ACTUALLY doing this!"
Had a nice sleep on the ferry. Woke up towards the end, went into the toilet: massive drool stain on my T shirt! No wonder the woman next to me was staring at me when I got up I thought she was checking me out..

As we were exiting the boat they had a cool little sniffer dog sniffing all our bags individually. That Tommy Tiernan sketch came to mind where when you're going through security checks you're convinced you've got drugs up your arse even though you don't remember putting them there... It was like that. The dog spent ages on my bag with my sandwiches in! I was thinking "Get the f**k away from my sandwiches you little shit!" Then I was laughing to myself at the laugh Christy would get if he knew I was getting aggressive at a dog for going for my sandwiches... I don't share food!!

Managed to get to London easy enough. Got on the train in Fishguard and the nicest Welshman checked my ticket. I immediately thought that all Welshmen were nice friendly people.. I know of course that is not entirely true but it made me think that that's what we should have in Ireland. Compare that to the fella who greets you at the train in Limerick Junction and you see why we have no tourists!

After a slight grapple with the underground I made it to the hostel in Victoria. Was a nice enough spot, clean anyway. Full of Americans and Canadians and these Nordic people who I think were Swedish but not sure. Went to bed early and slept like a baby.

Went out into the city on Friday, took a open top bus tour around the city. Have to say its an awesome plaxe in my opinion. Incredible buildings and loads of history and culture to see. There's adverts for Musicals everywhere the place is musical mad. Apparently me singing wasn't what they had in mind. Saw all the sights Big Ben, Tower of London, Trafalgar Square etc etc.

Took a boat tour up the river. The guy dong the commentary was funny. Had a great joke where we went past this big glass building and he was like "This is the headquarters of the British Window Cleaning Association" Hahaha. Funny right? Well I stopped off and decided to take the boat back along where I'd come to meet up again with the tour bus. Different guy this time...but SAME jokes! I had to laugh to myself. It was like a comedian robbing another guys jokes. The question is who wrote them first? Or is it like a script that all the tour guys come up with together? They get home after the day and are like "How did the window cleaning joke go?" "Ah ya it went well but the Tower Bridge one bombed we need something new for that!"

London appears to be a place that is long out of recession. There's cranes and roadworks everywhere and everything costs a bomb! There's loads of preparations for the Olympics going ahead and this wedding that's happening in a few weeks there seems to be an excitement around the town.

Oh and get this. On the bus stops, there's actually maps showing where the buses go!!! I know!! Amazing huh? Thats not all... the buses often have a screen showing when the next bus is due... I know I couldn't believe it either its amazing what technology can do...

Meeting the other guys on the tour for a few drinks tonight so gonna finish up here now. I brought my camera along to the Internet Cafe but didn't bring the right connection so I will put photos up next time I am online.

Leaving at 7.30 tomorrow to head to Belgium.. Let the festivities commence!

1 comment:

  1. go on the Ben saw your belgium photos on Facebook some blog you got going here!!! looks like one epic trip hope the weathers good wherever you are at the moment

    ReplyDelete